As we explore various aspects of The Global 5000 companies, their size, footprint and spending power is unmistakable. They make the most money and spend the most money compared to any other segment of the market.
One area of spending we looked at is IT. Taking available data on the % of revenue spent on IT across a number of verticals, we applied those percentages to the revenue of each company in The Global 5000 database. From there, we totaled those IT dollars for each major industry group. Overall, these represent over $1.2 trillion of IT budgets. Here are the spending totals by industry for the largest companies in the world.
- Financial Services – $460 billion
- Technology Providers – $148 billion
- Industrial Manufacturing – $141 billion
- Oil & Gas – $136 billion
- Health Care – $69 billion
- Retailers & Wholesalers – $60 billion
- Business Services – $53 billion
- Basic Materials – $47 billion
- Food & Beverage – $42 billion
- Utility Services – $41 billion
- Transportation – $36 billion
- Consumer Goods & Services – $24 billion
- Construction – $12 billion